Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Marvin - who me?


Some days I get quite concerned about Internet security and personal information.

Subscribing to "items" via RSS feed is good ... but one thing I would have liked to subscribe to I couldn't because I was using IE. Perhaps on another day...

More power to Google. Does anyone else untick the box on the Google toolbar to stop statistics going back to Google?

Does anyone else stop the suggestions in the Google Search window as you type?

Does anyone else stop the AutoComplete in IE so previous URLs are not displayed in the Address Bar?
or am I just a paranoid android like Marvin.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Megan, thanks for posting your reflection.

    i know that many people around the world share your concerns about internet safety and privacy online.

    Personally i don't mind giving some kinds of information away.. but i do like to stop microsoft internet explorer from auto-completing.. and i'm especially conscious of passwords etc when i'm on a public computer.

    On public computers it's very important to watch out for boxes that say things like "Keep me signed in", "Remember passwords" etc

    There's always room for being well-informed, and having a healthy skepticism of large companies. What is their software doing to you today?

    kind regards, michael

    "Life don't talk to me about life."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan, at last I have 1 free moment.

    Sorry I haven't responded earlier, obviously not suited to this type of communicating.

    Wish I could help with regards your blog, but don't have the Google toolbar displayed so unable to help.

    I do turn off the autocomplete in IE at home, but at work where my computer is usually shared it is left on.

    It is annoying that so many things are traced and tracked throughout our time on the internet.

    It's bad enough my kids can track me down!

    I hope in Internet Cafes around the world they are automatically set up by the owners to have all those tracking devices off to protect the personal information of their clientele.

    Probably why cafe's sell more coffee.... to relieve the stress of our concern in protecting our privacy on the internet.

    Cheers to you

    ReplyDelete